When it’s time for new siding there are several factors you’ll want to consider before you decide which material is the best for your home. By balancing the way each material fits these considerations you can confidently determine which material you’ll install. Some of the important things to consider are:
- Energy Efficiency
- Local Climate and Weather Patterns
- Level of Maintenance Required
- Personal and Local Aesthetics
- Resale Value
- Initial Cost
- Maintenance Cost
- Expected Lifespan
Pros and Cons of Wood Siding
Wood siding is traditional and has a lot to offer Salemburg homeowners. At the same time, there are some definite drawback to wood siding. Let’s explore some of the pros and cons.
Pros of Wood Siding
- Wood siding is easily changed with stain and paint.
- Wood siding is a very environmentally friendly building material.
- When well maintained, wood siding is very durable and can last for decades.
- There are many different styles of wood siding that can offer almost endless design options. Some of the most popular wood siding options are:
- Board and Batten
- Wood Shingles
- Wood Shakes
- Tongue in Groove
- Wood siding adds curb appeal and can greatly increase your property value.
Cons of Wood Siding
- Wood siding is very high maintenance – it will need to be re-stained or re-painted every 3-5 years.
- Termites and other insects are attracted to wood siding, so pest control can become an issue.
- Wood is a somewhat expensive siding material.
- Depending on the brand, wood siding can have a poor fire rating. Some brands, however, apply fire retardants to the wood to bypass this problem.
- In addition to refinishing, wood siding will need to be cleaned at least yearly to remove mildew and other growth.
Pros and Cons of Vinyl Siding
Vinyl siding is one of the most popular siding options on the market in Salemburg because its affordable, durable, and has many different design options.
Pros of Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl siding is very low maintenance and will not ever require repainting.
- Repairs are typically simple and inexpensive.
- Vinyl is a relatively inexpensive and accessible siding material.
- Vinyl offers a clean, crisp look for the design of your home.
- There are nearly endless design and color options for vinyl siding.
- Vinyl siding installation is fast and easy.
Cons of Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl is prone to fading in very sunny climates. While the colors are typically rated to last 20-30 years areas that get an excessive amount of sunlight may see their vinyl siding, particularly dark colored siding, start to fade after only 10-15 years.
- While vinyl offers a clean look, it also tends to be plain and somewhat boring from an aesthetic standpoint.
- Vinyl is not an environmentally friendly siding material.
- Vinyl is prone to breaking during severe weather.
- It’s difficult to change the color of your siding once it’s been installed. Vinyl siding is not made to be painted and it can be difficult to successfully change the color without completely installing new siding.
Which Siding Material is Best for Your Salemburg Home?
When it’s time to decide which material to use for your home in Salemburg you’ll want to carefully weigh the pros and cons to help you answer the following questions:
- How much maintenance am I willing to do?
- What is my budget?
- What are my design ideals?
Still not sure what to do? Call TKPA Roofing today and let us help you pick the best material for your Salemburg home!